“Love Thy Neighbor”
With all the unrest in our country right now, the St. Peter’s Social Justice Team is focusing on the theme “Love Thy Neighbor.” Jesus calls us to love one another. Now when our world is so divided and we constantly see incidences of injustice, we need to find ways to put our faith into action.
Here are ways you can “Love Thy Neighbor”
This fall we have a national election and voting is a way to show support of your country and each other.
- Make sure you are registered to vote. Here is the link for DuPage County. https://www.dupageco.org/Election/48687/
- Have a plan to vote. Social Justice Team Members are available to help anyone who might need assistance, such as rides or dropping off ballots. Call or email Susan Frick (firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-698-4299).
- Ask your family and friends if they have a voting plan.
- If you are voting by mail, make plans to return your ballot early. This can be done through the mail or at drop-off sites.
- For information on voting in DuPage County, watch Jean Kaczmarek, DuPage County Clerk, present for to the Glen Ellyn League of Women Voters Kick off meeting https://www.lwvge.org/
United Church of Christ, Justice and Peace Action Network
- Join the UCC Justice and Peace Action Network to learn of ways to put your faith into action and stay connected with our denominations’ grassroots advocacy network. Sign up at https://www.ucc.org/join_the_network
- Join the St. Peter’s White Privilege study this October.
- In November, the Social Justice Team will host a discussion on the book White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo. Watch for details.
Support Your Neighbor
- This November, the Social Justice Team will be raising money for the UCC’s Neighbors in Need.
- When buying the book for our November study, consider supporting the black woman owned Chicago bookstore, Semicolon. They have an online store where you can buy books or audio versions.
Share Your Social Justice Efforts with Others
- Use the Our Faith Our Vote Template and share with others why you vote.
- Check out the UCC store to purchase shirts, yard signs or face masks which show support of social justice issues.
- Use the St. Peter’s Social Justice Team frame for your profile picture on Facebook or other social media platforms.
Join the Social Justice Team
- The Social Justice Team is always looking for new members. Call or email either of the Co-chairs for information. (Susan Frick at email@example.com or 630-698-4299 or Ron Searl at firstname.lastname@example.org or 630-878-3058)